Alan Daws • August 11, 2022
Paul's second letter to Timothy has been and is a very encouraging letter for me. I would say that it is my favorite book of the Bible. Paul loved Timothy; in fact, he calls him "my dearly loved son." He knew Timothy's mother and grandmother and their faith in Jesus. He saw that Timothy had a great foundation for his faith.
With that background, you would wonder why Paul encourages him to "keep ablaze the gift of God." What caused that flame to dwindle? As you read further, it seems Timothy may have doubts due to Paul's imprisonment and coming death. Paul reminds him that his salvation and his work for the church are both gifts from God. Timothy needed to hear that word of encouragement.
Are you ever discouraged in your walk with Christ? I sure am and I think that's why I like this little book. If I need to be lifted up out of a ditch of self-pity, I can always trust God to bring a word to uplift me. He may bring a person into my path, or His Spirit may encourage me. Paul says in 2 Timothy 1: 7, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but one of power, love, and sound judgment."
Don't let our enemy get you down or doubting, just remember God's Spirit gives us all the power, love, and wisdom we need.
Onward and Upward!
Alan Daws • August 04, 2022
How often do you pray for our nation's leaders? I read a story recently that reminded of what could be called a Prayer "Hit List." There were Christian leaders urging their supporters to pray for the death of political foes. I personally knew a pastor who prayed for God to "take out" some of his stubborn members so he could lead the church to grow. Just to let you know, I DO NOT have a prayer hit list.
In 1 Timothy 2:1-2 it says, "I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, 2 for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity."
We are urged to pray for everyone, but in particular in this case for those in authority. Who might those be? My answer would be all of our elected leaders from the president down to the dog catcher. They need our prayers, especially that God would give them wisdom to lead the country.
Why should I pray for someone I didn't vote for? Or for someone I loathe as a political leader? A very simple reason, so we can a live a tranquil and quite life in all godliness and dignity. Peace, freedom, the ability to seek God daily all come at a cost. Sometimes that means we have to pray for a leader whom we didn't vote.
Start today and pray for our national leaders. Tomorrow for our state leaders and the day after for our local leaders. Let's see what God does when we pray!
Onward and Upward!
Alan Daws • July 20, 2022
We all need to laugh every once in a while. This week has been a tough one for me and I sure do. Here are some church sign messages that might make you giggle:
- For Hope—Worship with Us; We Have a Real One
- Be a Fountain, Not a Drain
- There’s a Mighty Go in Gospel
- The Mind Grows by Taking in, But the Heart Grows by Giving Out
- God Grades on the Cross, Not the Curve
- If God Had a Refrigerator, Your Picture Would Be on It
- Come Inside for Free Faith Lift
- God Wants Full Custody, Not Just a Weekend Visit
- Psalms Read Here
- Visitors Welcome—Members Expected
- God: Let’s Meet at My House Before the Game
- Forecast: The Son Will Shine Forever
- A Bible That’s Falling Apart Often Belongs to Someone Who Isn’t
- Character Is How You Treat Those Who Can Do Nothing for You
- Practice Makes Perfect; Be Careful What You Practice
- Every Home Is a School. What Do You Teach?
- If You Don’t Like the Way You Were Born, Try Being Born Again
- God: About My Book; There Will Be a Test
- Never Put a Question Mark Where God Puts a Period
- Sunday’s Sermon: The Reality of Hell; Come Early and Hear Our Choir
- Don’t Give Up; Moses Was Once a Basket Case
- When It Comes to Giving, Some People Stop at Nothing
- Tithe If You Love Jesus; Anyone Can Honk
- Blessed Are the Flexible for They Shall Not Be Bent Out of Shape
Hope you enjoyed them!
Onward and Upward!